As we move ever further into the future, the world around us is accelerating at a pace few could have predicted. Amongst these shifts, one thing remains constant: the people. Our human capital is the most sustainable competitive advantage we have. It's the lynchpin in our rapidly spinning world.
We're witnessing five hidden future of work trends that are dramatically changing how we recruit, retain, reward, and reinvigorate our teams. The way we approach workplace sustainability is evolving, as is our understanding of what it means to belong in this new era of work.
The Forces of Change
Before we delve into these trends, let's first take stock of the forces shaping our reality. We're staring down the barrel of financial headwinds, rapid technological advancements, demographic shifts, and an evolving work landscape, all under the umbrella of a growing focus on sustainability.
The work we need to do is changing, with a shift towards a greener economy potentially creating 24 million new jobs by 2030. How we do that work is also evolving, with automation and the unbundling of skills giving rise to new models of work. Globally, 160 million people work for online platforms, with another 2 billion working informally.
The Future of Work: Five Key Trends
1. Belonging: In a world where the "good worker" is no longer defined by hours clocked at a desk, creating a sense of belonging within diverse and dispersed teams is crucial.
2. Changing Worker Perceptions: What we consider a "good worker" is no longer tied to traditional norms. It’s about adaptability, resilience, and the ability to navigate change.
3. New Ways to Work and Organize: Remote work, flexible hours, and project-based roles are the new normal. We're developing new ways to organize ourselves and work effectively.
4. Changing Support Systems: How we support our people is changing, with mental health, wellbeing, and personal growth taking center stage.
5. People-Powered Change: Companies are increasingly looking to their people to help them navigate these turbulent times.
The Power of People Sustainability
When we link our people sustainability to strategy, profits follow. This is the new reality we are stepping into. It's a world where taking care of our people and fostering a sense of belonging is paramount. It's a world where we look to our people to guide us through the uncertainty, knowing that they are our most sustainable competitive advantage.
The future of work is here, and it's people-powered. Are you ready?
Looking to the future, it's clear that supporting our workforce means going beyond traditional benefits and compensation packages. As we move forward, let's not just support our people, but let's empower them. Let's create environments where they can find purpose, flexibility, community, wellbeing, and make an impact. After all, the biggest sustainable advantage we have is our people.
If you liked this content, don't forget to share and subscribe to our newsletter.